What is the Interfaith Cooperation Forum (ICF)?
ICF is a program of Asia and Pacific Alliance of YMCA. It identifies youth from various faith and religious traditions in Asia and Pacific as participants of its programs and empower them to become peacebuilders in their own contexts.
- ICF Overarching Goal:
Contribute to a peaceful transformation of inter-religious and social conflicts in the particpating program countries of Asia.
The two Programmatic Components of ICF and their corresponding Objectives are:
- Movement Building through educational programs, and
Movement Building through Educational Programs
To equip the youth movements with the necessary knowledge and skills for understanding conflict and conflict transformation to create a cohesive network of peacebuilders.
Programs Under Movement Building:
- Thematic Workshop – The content of this 5-day workshop depends on specific themes that are deemed relevant by the host country. Among the themes discussed were religion and peace, human rights, women’s rights and gender justice, nonviolent communication, understanding conflict and conflict analysis, and peacebuilding frameworks. Community visit is
- Peace Institute – This is a two-week workshop held on a sub-regional level. This institute covers different subjects taken up thematic workshops but are given more time-allocation. This includes visits to places of worship and communities.
- School of Peace – This is a two-month program. While the topics are expanded versions of the subjects in the thematic workshops and peace institutes, more topics are added for discussion in this program. This includes home stay or immersion in communities, visit places of worship and conversations with different non-government organizations involved in justice and peace work. The participants are also expected to prepare a doable plan of re-entry into their respective communities for implementation.
To raise awareness among young people the significance of interreligious and interfaith dialog and cooperation towards an improved advocacy for cooperation and peacebuilding.
Advocacy is carried out through:
- E-Newsletter called The Peacebuilders.
- The ICF website is <interfaithforum.org>
- FB – @ interfaithcooperationforum
- Book projects